While the dust has settled in regards to the recent Spartan Race Eastern Canada venue shake-up, we have some new details to share with you on the 2016 season regarding the Competitive Heat, the new Parent/Junior Heat and new finisher’s shirts and medals. But first, here’s a brief summery of exactly what those venue and date changes entailed:
- The start of the Eastern Canada Spartan Race Season will be moved from mid May to early June, starting with the Quebec City Sprint/Super weekend.
- The Quebec Sprint/Super weekend has moved from Le Massif to Stoneham.;
- All Montreal races have moved from Mont Tremblant (Laurentians) to Owl’s Head (Eastern Townships).
- The Ottawa Super/Beast/Ultra Beast weekend (Mont Ste Marie) has moved to Montreal (Owl’s Head, Eastern Townships).
- The Halifax Sprint has been removed from the Eastern Canada race series.
The new Competitive Heat, where aspiring elite OCR athletes can race for end-of-year age group prizes will not make its way to Eastern Canada. Spartan Eastern Canada’s management will monitor the implementation and success of the Competitive Heat in the US and will strongly considering including the Competitive Heat in 2017.
Eastern Canada is adding a new Parent and Junior Heat to its races where juniors can run the adult course with their parents. Of course the Junior Spartan Race for kids of ages 4 and up will still be available at all Spartan Sprint race days in addition to the Toronto Super race day.
Eastern Canada Spartan Race finishers will receive new 2016 edition finisher’s medals and T-Shirts as well, however you will have to wait until the season begins to view exactly how they’ll look. There will also be new Spartan Race merchandise available for sale in the festival zone.
On the charity front, Spartan Race Eastern Canada is proud to continue the Run For Charity Program in 2016 with the goal of doubling their 2015 fundraising total of $52,000.
By : Adam Kwitko | Is an endurance sports journalist and race operations professional. He is an avid OCR racer and trail runner who gravitates to longer distances. He also consumes large amounts of honey.